WBCS MAIN EXAM QUESTIONS & ANSWERS :
- Who is the author of the Book “Asoka and decline of the Mauryas” ?(published in 1961)
(A) D. N. Jha
(B) Romila Thapar ✔
(C) R. S. Sharma
(D) A. L. Basham
- Who composed the Aihole Inscription ?
(A) Ravikirti ✔
(D) None of the above
- King “Chandra” of Mehrauli Iron Pillar inscription has been identified with
(A) Chandragupta Maurya
(B) Chandragupa I (Gupta)
(D) Chandragupta II (Gupta)✔
- The ruins of Harappa were first noticed by
(A) M. S. Vats
(B) M. Wheeler
(C) B. B. Lal
(D) Charles Mason✔
- Both Lord Buddha and Mahavira died in the reign of (483 BCE & 467 BCE)
(B) Ajatasatru ✔
- Who was the founder of the ‘Ajivika’ sect ?
(5th century BCE)
(A) Purana Kassap
(B) Pakudha Kaccayana
(C) Makkaii Gosala ✔
(D) Ajit Kesakambalin
- Which of the following is not a representative of the Buddhist art ?
(Gopuram – Dravidian architecture)
(B) Gopuram ✔
- Which of the following periods was considered by Gordon Childe as a period of “revolution” ?(around 10,000 BCE)
(C) Neolithic ✔
- Among the Bronze Age Civilizations which one was undoubtedly the largest in extent ?
(C) Harappan ✔
- The urban centers of the Harappan Civilisation faded out around –
(A) 2200 BC
(B) 2100-2000 BC
(C) 2000-1900 BC
(D) 1800-1750 BC☑️
- The most prominent deity in the Rigveda was
(B) Indra ✔
- Which of the following areas were viewed as impure by the later Vedic authors ?
(D) All of the above✔
- The most celebrated river in the Rigveda was
(B) Saraswati ✔
(C) Sindhu (Indus)
- Which geographical region of India witnessed the maximum concentration of the Mahajanapadas in the 6th century BC ?
(A) North India ✔
(B) Godavari valley
(C) Malwa plateau
(D) North-West frontier of the subcontinent
- Which one of the following events of Buddha’s life did not take place on a full moon day (Purnima) ?
- In the long history of domestication of animals, according to Wenke which was the earliest animal to be domesticated ?
(A) Goat ✔
- Microliths are typical of(35,000 to 3,000 years ago)
(A) Paleolithic Age
(B) Mesolithic Age ✔
(C) Neolithic Age
(D) Chalcolithic Age
- The earliest evidence of settled agriculture in the subcontinent comes from
(A) Mehargarh ✔
- In which State of India Ataranji kheda is situated ?(Etah district, bank of Kali river)
(B) Madhya Pradesh
- The first Indian rulers to issue gold coins on the Roman pattern were
(B) Kushanas ✔
- Which of the following 7th century Chinese travelers lived for ten years in the great monastery of Nalanda ?
(B) Hiuen Tsang
(C) Yijing ✔
- Which of the following is considered to be the earliest Indian text on music ?
(A) Krishna Yajurveda
(B) Atharva Veda
(C) Sama Veda ✔
(D) Purusha Shukta
- The earliest known stone tools in the Indian subcontinent have been discovered from-
(A) Potwar plateau in Pakistan✔
(B) Hungsi Valley (Karnataka)
(C) Didwana (Rajasthan)
(D) Bhimbetka (M.P.)
- The oldest deciphered script of the Indian subcontinent.
- In the Buddhist context, which one refers to texts that are supposed to contain what the Buddha himself said ?
(A) Sutta ✔
- There are Four Vedas and each Veda has _____ parts.
(C) four ✔
- Rummindei pillar of Ashoka is put up to mark Buddha’s(Lumbini, Nepal )
(A) Birth ✔
(C) First Sermon
- Name the author of ‘Pancharatra’ and ‘Svapna-Vasavadatta’
(B) Bhasa ✔
- Which style of architecture was developed by the Chalukyas of Badami ?
(A) Vesara ✔
- Which dynasty described itself as the ‘Brahma-Kshatriya‘ ?(1097-1230)
(A) Senas ✔
- The dynasty which Harshavardhan belonged to was(606-647)
- By whom was the kulinism (system of nobility among Brahmins and kayasthas) in Bengal started ?
- By whom and when the Gupta era was started ?
(A) Kumargupta I in 324 CE
(B) Srigupta in 309-10 CE .
(C) Chandragupta l in 319-320 CE✔
(D) Samudragupta in 324 CE
- Who among the following was the first to describe Sudras as a class of agriculturists ?
(B) Fa Hien
(C) Hiuen Tsang ✔
- Which of the following Gupta rulers is said to have embraced Buddhism towards the end of his life and also founded the Nalanda University ?
(D) Kumaragupta l✔
- Which Chalukya ruler is credited with repelling the Arab invasion of South Gujarat ?
(A) Vikramaditya I
(B) Pulakesin I
(C) Pulakesin ll
(D) Vikramaditya II✔
- Which one of the following was not situated in the Ganga plain?
(A) Kosala Kingdom
(B) Asmaka Kingdom✔
(C) Vatsya Kingdom
(D) Magadha Kingdom
38.At which of the following places has the largest belt of painted rock shelter of pre-historic period been found ?
(B) Bhimbetka ✔
- Official stamping of weights and measures and their periodical inspection are prescribed by
(A) Manu ✔
- The Kharosthi script derived from
(B) Aramaic ✔
- Name the class which is conspicuous by its absence from the list of seven classes given by Megasthenes
(B) Traders ✔
- The Gold coins of the Gupta dynasty were known as
(B) Dinara ✔
- The language of the Jain religious text was
(C) Prakrit ✔
- Which of the following sources states that Srinagar was built by Asoka ?
(B) Rajatarangini ✔
(C) Taranath’s History of Tibet
- Rummindei pillar of Asoka is put up to mark Buddha’s (Lumbini, Nepal)
(A) Birth ✔
(C) First Sermon
- The name of our motherland ‘Bharata’ was first mentioned in
(A) Vishnu Purana ✔
(B) Vayu Purana
(C) Markendaya Purana
(D) Matsya Purana
- We know about the Bactrian Greeks only from
(B) Coins ✔
- Who introduced Gold Coins in India ?
(A) The Mauryas
(B) The Kushanas
(C) The Greeks ✔
(D) The Cholas
- Who was Minandar ?
(A) A Parthian king
(B) A Bactrian Greek King ✔
(C) A Saka King
(D) None of the above
- Who wrote Milindapanha ?